Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Shondesh, Momos, Kababs and More

After dropping Tanya and the kids off at the airport I made the most of my bachelordom (or is it bachelorhood?) by...doing some Christmas shopping and then hitting Jackson Heights for Indian food.  Unfortunately my adventurousness failed me here and instead of trying out something new I went to the always reliable Rajbhog.  But as I was walking around later I saw a ton of places that looked worth checking out.  For hopeful future reference here's a yelp search for restaurants around 74th street.

I noticed Bengali writing in almost every restaurant, and reading through the reviews there are a good number of places serving Bangladeshi food like Khaabar Bari and Premium Sweets.  These include some dishes I recognize from West Bengal like shondesh.  There are also a number of Tibetan or Nepali places like Lali Guras and South Asian Family Restaurant with dishes like momos.  I also noticed Kabab King on 37th was doing a booming business, it sounds like the Bihari kabab is the thing to get there, as opposed to Kababish where its apparently all about the gola kebabs.



No comments:

Post a Comment